Tuesday 25 August 2020

Kutch work

When I was in school, I read about Mridula's Embroidery School in a monthly magazine.  I was fascinated towards embroidery reading that article.  Few years back, my wish was fulfiilled.  I got the correspondence course (which included a spiral bound book and 2 CDs) and the books remained untouched for a couple of years, waiting for their moment of shine. Some time back, I started watching the CDs and going through the book.  Slowly, got absorbed in this beautiful form of embroidery.

Kutch embroidery originated in the state of Gujarat in India.  There are two steps in each of the stitch.  First part is the framing stitches and the second part is the interlacing of these framing stitches.  The designs of Kutch work is entirely made using squares or diamonds.

To get started, I doodled the various kutch work motifs.  My doodle cloth pictures are below.



 

Then I progressed, to the simple designs.  


Then I moved on to the elaborate designs.    The dual paisley design is worked on a navy blue cotton fabric.



The below one is worked on a light blue silk fabric



The below huge (A3 size) paisley design is worked on a navy blue cotton fabric.   I am so happy with the overall outcome, the stitch choices and the choices of the thread colors for the various elements of the design.


The below small paisley design is worked on light pink satin fabric.



Overall, I enjoyed and even got addicted to this kutch work embroidery. It was very satisfying.

 I am very grateful for this youtube channel as well.  This channel's concept videos clarified many of my doubts and made my stitching time more enjoyable and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TAST 7 & Beyond TAST 7 - Detached Chain Stitch & Barred Chain Stitch & Alternating Barred Chain stitch

 Here is my TAST 2021 sampler with this week's stitches.