Thursday, 17 April 2014

Self Shading Cross Stitch Rose

This shaded cross stitch rose was done for March challenge at Stitch Map.  There were two other patterns offered - Australian Gumnuts and Wattle.  I love cross stitch and I was confident that I could finish this well before the end of March and this was the reason for me choosing this.

The entire rose was done with just two floral colors - one darker shade for the outline and a medium shade for the rose.  The shading effect was achieved by using 2 strands of floss, 1strand of floss and with full cross stitch and half cross stitch across the rose.  The leaves were done with the single strand of green floss with back stitches.

Initially it was boring and frustrating working these dainty stitches with single color floss, however when the rose started blooming,it was quite interesting and delightful.  I love the end result.

Monday, 7 April 2014

Rainbow Cross Stitch Blocks - 1 and 2

Yay!!! I have completed the blocks 1 and 2 of the rainbow blocks.  I am not sure what I would be doing with this finished block but I am so happy to stitch with these really vibrant colours.

My two sons are enjoying much with these rainbow colors. As the block gets finished , they locate the rainbow colors.  They are too enthusiastic in helping me make the cross stitch, they pull the thread too much and most of the times, the needle comes out from the thread.   I end up rethreading the needle often :)-.  Happy to see them interested in what their mommy is making.



I will be parking this project for a couple of weeks, as I have to complete another embroidery challenge before the April 30 deadline.  Its going to involve a lot of flowers

Friday, 4 April 2014

SAL - Kanta

When Anita had announced the Kanta SAL, I immediately joined.  But I was unable to start stitching immediately due to my other commitments.  Last week, we had a long week end here in Bangalore due to Ugadi festival. I was able to catch up with this SAL and I am now happy to say that I am upto date on this SAL.

This is the first time I am working on such a dark color fabric.  I have been preserving this cotton fabric for the past 9+ years as it was given to me in Tirupathi temple.  First it was a challenge to outline the design on the fabric - I tried with the light box method..and it did not work.  So, I used a white carbon paper to trace the design on the fabric.

Next challenge was choosing the floss colors.  I tried some 15 different colors in a doodle cloth and finally settled for these colors.

The colors used are

Kanta Booti - Anchor 033
whipped running stitch outline and two rows of filling - Anchor 0186
Centre Flower  - Anchor 0302
Spirals,scrolls ,outer eye shape border, outer triangle border - Anchor 049
Curvicules at top (blue filling ) - Anchor 0433
Curvicules spiral (Red outline) - Anchor 046

All are done using 2 strands of Anchor floss .

I am not happy with the work on the center flower.  The petal edges are not uniform and I have made sure to have different shapes of petals with my night time stitching.  :)-




Anyways, I tolerated my ugly stitching of flower by saying - all these occurs when you learn something new and kept progressing.   If I am going to expect perfection, I am not going to finish this piece.

Now I know where I have gone wrong, I will more careful when I do it the next time.

Thank you Anita for this SAL.